[WMF-outreach-staff] Logistics so far (discussion continues in IRC)

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Jul 5 23:58:58 UTC 2012

Excerpts from James Hare's message of Thu Jul 05 19:31:59 -0400 2012:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:
> > Excerpts from James Hare's message of Thu Jul 05 19:14:08 -0400 2012:

> >> Continental Ballroom, but that's the lounge. The Hackathon starts in
> >> the Betts Theatre and then you move on to Rooms 307, 308, 310.
> >
> > Oh, interesting. By "the lounge" I presume you mean that space
> > is shared among all the other Tue-Wed sub-events of Wikimania?
>
> Yes, but mostly it's going to be you guys while the chapters people
> are stuck in their meeting. You are free to stridently claim it,
> especially since there will be power strips on power strips going on
> in there.

Great, so strident claiming is what it'll be! (Does the lounge have
tables? If it doesn't, I might take the above back.)

> Well, we ARE paying for them...

Great.

> >> Catering is ALL SET.
> >
> > Cool. What is the time that breakfast (?) and/or lunch takes place?
>
> No breakfast; lunch during the pre-conf is sometime in the afternoon.
> (Real useful answer, right?) There will also be morning break and
> afternoon break.

It'd be nice to know, but isn't super essential I guess.

> > Similarly will there be coffee somewhere (the lounge?) and/or snacks
> > and drinks?
>
> Yep; see above.

Cool.

> > What time is the hackathon group dinner, and who is invited?
>
> It's your Hackathon so you can plan the parameters of the dinner.

Interesting. Okay. Do I have a budget for this? If not, I can tell
people they're on their own.

> > I see the hackathon is 9am to 5pm. That seems like a reasonable
> > duration, but a 9am start is kind of silly maybe. (-;
> >
> > I guess what you imagine is:
> >
> > 9am: People arrive to the Betts Theatre, where we do opening
> >      ceremonies
> >
> > (am I in charge of running those ceremonies? Do others have specific
> > plans?)
> >
> > 9:30 or so: They make their way to rooms 307/308/310 as directed
> >             by the people running the opening ceremonies.
>
> You can plan the specifics, but yes, 9-5 is generally speaking when
> the events are running.

Okay, cool.

> > That would fit about 100 people in hack mode (50 in each of two
> > rooms) plus a single 50-person auditorium-type thing.
> >
> > It'd be nicer to have a bigger room, if possible, as a default
> > hack lab, with one or two break-out rooms.
>
> Feel free to use the Continental Ballroom for your purposes, as stated above.

Cool.

> > I'm concerned about the 400 people who've signed up for the
> > Developer Days. We do have about 57 "Yes" RSVPs from the
> > survey, plus I would guess another 0-40 who will show up.
> > And then maybe actually we'll balloon up to 400!? I can't
> > quite be sure.
>
> Keep in mind some of those are going for chapters. I am sure there
> will be a way to accommodate everyone.

Yeah -- if we get the Continental Ballroom, suddenly I'm less worried.

-- Asheesh.