[WMF-outreach-staff] Logistics so far (discussion continues in IRC)

James Hare james.hare at wikidc.org
Thu Jul 5 23:31:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from James Hare's message of Thu Jul 05 19:14:08 -0400 2012:
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > I thought you should know I'm thinking aloud about the hackathon logistics
>> > here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wmf-hackathon-schedule
>> >
>> > Some open questions for locals:
>> >
>> > * Which Marvin Center ballroom do we have?
>>
>> Continental Ballroom, but that's the lounge. The Hackathon starts in
>> the Betts Theatre and then you move on to Rooms 307, 308, 310.
>
> Oh, interesting. By "the lounge" I presume you mean that space
> is shared among all the other Tue-Wed sub-events of Wikimania?

Yes, but mostly it's going to be you guys while the chapters people
are stuck in their meeting. You are free to stridently claim it,
especially since there will be power strips on power strips going on
in there.

>> > * What does it take to get on the wifi?
>>
>> The powers of Earth, Air, Wind, Water, and Heart. That, and logging
>> onto the gw_event network. There will be one username/password for the
>> entire conference to use.
>
> Great. I'll relax when I see that info, but for now I'll trust. (-:
>
>> > * How are going to handle power for ~100-200 people?
>>
>> Power strips! And power strips! And power strips! At each table.
>
> Great. GWU Conference Services will provide, and you folks will
> check on them?

Well, we ARE paying for them...

>> > * Is there going to be food? (Do I have a budget, and I have to pick how to
>> > spend it; or do you already have plans; or is there some existing food
>> > infrastructure within Wikimania, or ...?)
>>
>> Catering is ALL SET.
>
> Cool. What is the time that breakfast (?) and/or lunch takes place?

No breakfast; lunch during the pre-conf is sometime in the afternoon.
(Real useful answer, right?) There will also be morning break and
afternoon break.

> Similarly will there be coffee somewhere (the lounge?) and/or snacks
> and drinks?

Yep; see above.

> What time is the hackathon group dinner, and who is invited?

It's your Hackathon so you can plan the parameters of the dinner.

> I see the hackathon is 9am to 5pm. That seems like a reasonable
> duration, but a 9am start is kind of silly maybe. (-;
>
> I guess what you imagine is:
>
> 9am: People arrive to the Betts Theatre, where we do opening
>      ceremonies
>
> (am I in charge of running those ceremonies? Do others have specific
> plans?)
>
> 9:30 or so: They make their way to rooms 307/308/310 as directed
>             by the people running the opening ceremonies.

You can plan the specifics, but yes, 9-5 is generally speaking when
the events are running.

> That would fit about 100 people in hack mode (50 in each of two
> rooms) plus a single 50-person auditorium-type thing.
>
> It'd be nicer to have a bigger room, if possible, as a default
> hack lab, with one or two break-out rooms.

Feel free to use the Continental Ballroom for your purposes, as stated above.

> I'm concerned about the 400 people who've signed up for the
> Developer Days. We do have about 57 "Yes" RSVPs from the
> survey, plus I would guess another 0-40 who will show up.
> And then maybe actually we'll balloon up to 400!? I can't
> quite be sure.

Keep in mind some of those are going for chapters. I am sure there
will be a way to accommodate everyone.