[Events] Scala crash course for women and their friends

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Apr 22 19:43:38 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I was talking with Yuvi Masory, with whom I co-organized this event last
year:
http://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1

He is co-organizing a Scala (functional programming) hackathon in a few
months in Philadelphia: http://scalathon.org/

I am helping him run an event the evening before it: "Scala crash course
for women & friends": http://www.meetup.com/scala-phase/events/17397558/

I would appreciate thoughts and feedback from you all. There are some
differences from PyStar + RailsBridge + Boston Python Workshop:

* There is less text at http://www.meetup.com/scala-phase/events/17397558/
than the other events (I might change that)

* It's not targeted at newcomers (I find this *thrilling*). You have to
already know a functional programming langauge to attend, and the puropse
is to bring you into the full-on Scala hackathon that weekend.

* It's attached to another event, and cross-registration is required. See
above. I find this thrilling: attaching people to strong communities is a
very good strategy for success.

* It's for an obcure-ish language. (-:

* It costs fifteen dollars. I think this isn't an important difference, as
it's attached to an event that does already cost money ($50, not much) to
attend.

I'd be curious about the following things:

* What would people think about us organizing the event through this list?

* What would people think about us organizers keeping this list up-to-date
with updates, but maybe sending fewer emails than every single planning
one?

* What do people think about the event?

(-:,

http://asheesh.org/

You will be aided greatly by a person whom you thought to be unimportant.