[OH-Dev] Some thoughts

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:45:30 UTC 2014

Hello,

Thanks for emailing us.  The steps for forking the project are shown on the
wiki page, but the documentation currently links to a part of the page
where they aren't shown (
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Git_Basics#Create_pull_request instead of
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Git_Basics#To_fork_a_project_on_Github).  I'm
sorry that confusion caused a problem with you, and happy someone in
#openhatch was able to help you out!

I think you're right that we could do better at linking to better
instructions.  Would you mind filing a bug so we can remember to fix this?
 To do so, go here: http://openhatch.org/bugs/.  You'll need to create an
account on openhatch.org if you haven't got one already.  Then go to the
lefthand sidebar, look under issues, and click 'create new'.  In the
"change note" box you can describe how the documentation could be improved
to better help people.

In terms of how to find new bugs to work on, or whether to stick with a
single project, everyone is different.  Some people like to try a lot of
different projects, others focus on learning just one.  As you say, one has
to set up new dev environments for new projects.  If that's something you
don't like doing, it might make sense for you to focus on a single project
for a while.

best
Shauna