[OH-Dev] Some thoughts

aaron.chock aaron.chock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:35:08 UTC 2014

So I was kind of pumped up to get into an opensource project for 2014.
So I was assigned a bug and tried to fix this and that was pretty cool.
Now I still do want to help but it gets kind of frustrating.
Here is the thing I do follow your instructions on the Getting started wiki
once I get here
http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/handling_contributions.html

I followed the instructions and the local dev worked. But then I thought I
was pointing to the mainline project on github. Now the other day I borked
my repository and had to look for help. I cant remember his name but he was
pretty nice in helping me out with this.

I have never used git before and the steps to fork this are not shown in
the wiki page. To some this might be trivial but to others this is
something new.

I mean the instructions dont need to have pictures but it be great to know
if I am doing the right procedure.

So lets say I want to help out on another bug. I looked for bitesized bugs
but there is like different proyects on the list. Do I install new local
dev environments for lets say oauth, I2P, Mifos etc or do n00bs stay on
just one project? If there is documentation for this please forgive me for
my rant. But it is not so obvious for me.