[OH-Dev] Issue when trying to upgrade Django to 1.4.1

Brian Dant brian.r.dant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:38:59 UTC 2012

Hello Dev Team,

I'm trying to upgrade Django (Issue 753<https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue753>)
but running into some problems.  Maybe somebody could offer some advice or
volunteer to mentor based on my notes below?

Thanks,

Brian

Here's what I've done:
1. git rm -r Django
2. pip install --no-install --build=vendor/packages --src=vendor/src -I
django
3. python manage.py syncdb --noinput
4. python manage.py loaddata 2012-09-22.json.gz
5. python manage.py runserver (see * below for a side note)

When I tried to open a page at localhost:8000, I got an import error:
File "/home/chaz/dev/projects/oh-mainline/mysite/urls.py", line 46, in
<module>
    from mysite.base.feeds import RecommendedBugsFeed, RecentActivityFeed
  File "/home/chaz/dev/projects/oh-mainline/mysite/base/feeds.py", line 18,
in <module>
    from django.contrib.syndication.feeds import Feed, FeedDoesNotExist

Indeed, the module doesn't exist:
oh-mainline/vendor/packages/Django/django/contrib/syndication$ ls
__init__.py  __init__.pyc  views.py

*There was some (potentially) useful output during runserver:
/home/chaz/dev/projects/oh-mainline/vendor/packages/Django/django/conf/__init__.py:75:
DeprecationWarning: The ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX setting has been removed; use
STATIC_URL instead.
  "use STATIC_URL instead.", DeprecationWarning)
/home/chaz/dev/projects/oh-mainline/vendor/packages/Django/django/conf/__init__.py:75:
DeprecationWarning: The ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX setting has been removed; use
STATIC_URL instead.
  "use STATIC_URL instead.", DeprecationWarning)
Validating models...