[Devel] I am working on replacing SOLR with Xapian

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 21 23:23:58 UTC 2010

Hey all,

In the "openhatch arcana" department: Right now, when you search for
people at /people/ (either on your local machine or on the deployment),
the OpenHatch Django code passes your search through a module called
Haystack...

(documented at http://haystacksearch.org/ )

...into a search engine "backend".

One such backend is SOLR; Xapian is another.

The main site uses SOLR. But putting SOLR in the OpenHatch development
process has been a pain, causing bugs like
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue182

So -- I figure we can switch to Xapian.

I adjusted README.mkd, and the code in 'master' on Gitorious, to stop
using SOLR and switch to Xapian. But it's half-working, and I have to head
out for now.

So this is a heads-up about that. If you want to take a look at *fixing*
this, too, that would quite rock. (-:

I'll be back online tomorrow!