[Campus-rutgers-staff] bringing Open Source Comes to Campus back to Rutgers

Billy Lynch wlynch92 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 19:25:22 UTC 2014

For those who don't know, I am no longer at Rutgers and am now at Google
NY, so I should be able to take over Sri's responsibilities.

Prachi- I handed those off to the new USACS president Katie Poskaitis
(cc-ed)

As for room, Core A or even the new expanded Cave might work.

Something I was discussing with Sri offline last week was potentially
moving the event to very early spring semester. I am not sure how set in
stone those original dates are, but I think there will be benefits for both
us and students if we change the date. The main motivation behind this was
1) to piggyback off of the popularity of student hackathons and 2) to take
advantage of beginning of semester motivation.

1) HackPrinceton and HackRPI <http://mlh.io/seasons/f2014/events> fall on
the same weekend. Though we are primarily trying to target beginners,
students are being encouraged more and more to attend these events to
learn. Since these 2 events are fairly close to Rutgers (and it is become
fairly common for hackathons to charter a bus to bring students to the
event), I am slightly concerned that this might draw away some of the
people we want to reach. By moving to the start of the semester we can get
ahead of most spring hackathons and promote skills that students can then
use at these events.

2) From running these types of events in the past, I have found that events
targeted towards beginners are much more effective when they are in the
start of the semester. This is when students have more free time (since
they don't have assignments yet) and are motivated to learn new things that
can help them in the upcoming semester. I think an event like this would be
much more successful and useful to students if ran at the start of the
semester rather than towards the end (especially since USACS tends to run a
very similar event covering VCS/Github workflows).

These were just a few thoughts I had. If we still want to run with the Nov
16th date that is perfectly fine.