[WMF-outreach-staff] Current state of Wikimania hackathon organizing (and stepping up as lead)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jun 22 22:54:27 UTC 2012

I notice that on https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organizing_team
there's no specific people dedicated to organizing the hackathon. I want
to step up to be the lead organizer, but I don't want to step on anyone's
toes.

>From what I gather, looking at
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon , no one has invited
people to give specific tutorials yet, or created a concrete schedule.
That's fine for a free-form hackathon.

I'm interested in adding a lot more structure to things -- including
finding and training volunteers to help make that work -- so that people
who show up have a lot more clarity on what they can do that helps push
the Wikimedia/MediaWiki tech world forward.

I'll be using this list as a discussion ground and idea growing point.
Yes, that means if you have ideas, mention them here and we'll think +
iterate together!

Katie and Gregory in particular, I know you had some ideas about the
hackathon. My first goal is to survey the people who have signed up to
figure out what they want to learn, and also behind-the-scenes I'll do
some research to see what things we can teach them (e.g. if they maintain
extensions in svn and we can help them move to git), and then customize
the hackathon to make sure it provides that.

If we can organize things pretty soon, then there will be time to
advertise the improved newcomer-friendly hackathon to other Wikimania
attendees and try to convince them to show up on those first two days,
too!

So I'll be trying to "Be bold" in terms of updating pages like
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schedule/Hackathon , and I'm
willing to put in a lot of work and time into making things great.

I want to emphasize that I'm quite open to different ideas and
adjustments!

If that seems reasonable to y'all, I think the next step is for me to
somehow get access to the list of names+emails who have signed up when
registering for Wikimania. (Katie said on IRC a spreadsheet could probably
be exported; that sounds fine for a start.) From my end, I'll be working
on a survey to send to them to find out what they want to learn and hack
on.

-- Asheesh.