[WFS-India] Maryam Mirzakhani becomes the first woman to win Fields Medal

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 04:37:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20140812-a-tenacious-explorer-of-abstract-surfaces/

She is lucky too, because her field falls within the scope of interest groups.
Politics and lobbyism is pretty common in the committees and AMS.

Just few years back, somebody (whose work I know) solved a deep fifty
year old problem in algebra (lattice theory) and wanted it published
in one of the AMS journals (not that the journals maintain standards),
but the AMS power groups have their own ideas of what mathematics
ought to be. So we had a signature campaign... that was one of the
occasions they relented.

As far as the claims about style in "doing math like a girl" is
concerned. No, girls (and women :) do maths in various ways, styles
and moods. Some are relentless and aggressive too in their approach.

Best

A. Mani

A. Mani
[Last_Name. First_Name Format]