[WFS-India] [OT] Indian un-civilization

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 23:45:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Noopur Raval <noopur.raval at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ummm. Did you follow the responses to this post? Also, statistics on women's abuse and harassment across nations? I hope this list isn't for some kind of senseless militant feminism. I thought we were way past bra burning and congregating to have constructive responses to VAW.

The responses to the list was ... lot of horrible victim blaming.

First hand accounts like these are uncommon in the media, though the
Indian media is full of stories of sexual violence on a daily basis
and .... sexual violence is vastly (99%+) under reported because of
social stigma and fear etc. Estimation is a very complex
interdisciplinary problem.

What kind of free software applications might be made to help people
in such situations in the Indian context?

Most of the things out there are proprietary stuff.

> Why is this posted to this list anyway?

Apart from the above, if we organize a conference in some future
people may not come. In academic scenario, apart from ridiculous
infrastructure costs, this type of feedback will have adverse effects.

Best

A. Mani

A. Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, CLC, CMS