[WFS-India] ideas for next events

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:16:54 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://en.flossmanuals.net/_booki/collaborative-futures/collaborative-futures.pdf
>>
> This book (at least in the beginning) seems to be like a manifesto of
> Anonymous - the hacker group which is declared illegal in India. Lets not
> circulate such materials which might be deemed to be illegal. And we as a
> group definitely do no support any activity which is deemed to be illegal by
> the laws of the land in this group.

Satabdi has probably jumped the gun a bit here. As Sayan and Mani has
rightly pointed out neither Anonymous nor the PDF circulated are
banned entities in India.

What is equally true is that her concerns are real and justified for
the following reasons:

a) Mani's post came in this thread which Satabdi had opened asking for
new event ideas.

b) Satabdi  pointed out, the book begins like it is a manifesto of
Anonymous, which it does.

c) Mani's has been a proponent of strong rules. arguing that without a
rigid defined structure it is impossible to go on with any stated
mission agenda. Even when playing with the A, B, C of (rule) building
blocks, Mani has insisted that senior experienced members should
follow the rules strictly, while the new comers may be cut some slack.

d) Mani is not a new comer, so laughable questions about "illegal with
respect to whom" and inane attempts to shrug off responsibility
stating  "The original rules were from
ilug-delhi.", are not really expected from her.

e) The activities and modus operandi of Anonymous goes against the
laws of India.

f) A reply to provide for 'new ideas' from someone as senior as Mani,
pointing to the subversive activities of groups like Anonymous, is a
seeming endorsement of this group's points-of-action and its public
stand. The 'offending' email did not qualify or disclaim to be
anything otherwise.

g) Anonymous has been openly attacking Internet infrastructure of
Indian government and companies. For example on 8th June 2012, they
openly declared - "We, the Anonymous are attacking the websites of
Government of India, Internet Service Providers with a DDoS attack for
past 15 days to spread our message." [1].

The use of the word "attack" is relevant in the context of Satabdi's objections.

Anonymous has cracked, defaced, published content on/of several Indian
servers, for which they have openly claimed responsibility. By their
own words, they are at war, on behalf of the people, with what they
perceive as the corrupt, tyrannical Indian bureaucracy and government
system. It is noteworthy , that the Maoists, the Indian Mujaheddin,
SIMI, LeT etc also claim to be fighting for their perceived rights and
against the 'wrongs' of the Indian state.

The method and approach of Anonymous are not in line with the laws of
the Indian State.

regards
-idg

[1] http://www.telecomtiger.com/fullstory.aspx?storyid=14565&passfrom=vasstory&section=S174

--
Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg