[WFS-India] The original 'sin' on a mailing list

Aruna S safincrazy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 16:18:19 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Mani,
> >
> > This is clearly unacceptable! Please change this. The dates were changed
> > because there were only 4 submissions and 3 of them came from a single
> > person not because of the reason you wrote in the website.
> >

> Well this is a matter of interpretation.
> We had long discussions going nowhere and publicity was delayed.
> And yes it it is ultimately a coordination issue.

I think the logical reason behind the postponement was what Tarashish
posted. I also think everyone, except you agrees with this. The general
interpretation, in that sense, seems to be leaning against you. The
decision was made after a single thread, and I really don't see any
coordination issues happening. It is a pointless endeavour to make it seem
like there are issues, on the website when there aren't any. It is also a
little stupid.  There are well defined roles and everyone seems to be
following them religiously. What you are exercising is not transparency but
an abuse of your privileges.

> > And this is a strict warning - please refrain from writing such things
> > otherwise I will not only have to revoke your administrative access but
> also
> > ask you to leave this group.
>
> So it is your dictatorship.

I'm going to have to defend Satabdi here. What Satabdi has done is given
you a warning, like we warn errant members who are not following the
mailing list guidelines. This happens on *all* FOSS mailing lists. We have
all tried to be reasonable and tried to be extremely democratic. The
general consensus has to be respected even if you do not agree with it,
since this is a *group*. There is only so far you can go to prove a point.
if the majority seems to disagree, well too bad, you have to live with it.
I don't want you to feel like we are targetting you, but the rest of us
follow the above guidelines without thinking twice, and from everything
till now, I see you trying to impose yourself with great persistence even
when the rest of the group is on a completely different track. It is both
petty and unnecessary. It is alright to give in sometimes, it takes away
nothing from the strength of your opinions or your right to have them. If
anything, it only shows that you put the group before you, which is *very*
important for young groups like ours.

I really like this group and enjoy the freedom and the warmth here.

It is one thing to argue to make a point and another to argue to prove a
point. I hope you will agree with me on that. I trust you to not misread my
suggestions/get offended. Please be reasonable and prioritise.

Warmly,
Aruna