[WFS-India] Key Conflicts in formulating Mail List Guidelines

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 12:16:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Kaustav Das Modak
<kaustav at codebinders.com> wrote:

> On 2013-06-20 03:40, A. Mani wrote:

<snipped>

>> Question1: Is C+E our strategy or do experienced members follow new
>> weakened versions of standard rules?

I was always week in maths... so can we discard this set theory business?

If you refuse to do so, I would consider this an insult against the
mathematically less gifted people!!!!

*just kidding*

> The degree to which a member is comfortable should be left as a decision to
> the member. We can suggest possible guidelines but not impose them on
> everyone. However, certain practices can be strongly handled when necessary.
> They have been put in "What to avoid?" portion in the new draft.

+1

Here we are talking about freedom, openness and being inviting and
warm to newcomers (esp women) and yet we seem to sinking into a
bureaucratic mind-trap of hardened rules and stringent regulation when
it comes to something so basic as the mailing list.

It is time people looked beyond this bureaucratic clap-trap and
actually allowed others to do something useful for a change. I've said
enough and have done the bit I had promised (aka 'push the patch' for
mailing list rules). I'll go back to lurking again.

@Mani you are an old friend of many years, even though we have had our
personal differences. For once in your life, can you please consider
restraining from your urge to contradict and let these bright
youngsters get on with their agenda. You do not need to be the
top-canine in every argument, just for the heck of it. Have a little
faith, we can always come back to your theory.

> The essence is to keep a cheerful atmosphere and encourage members to learn
> new things even through the guidelines. It needs to be a guiding document in
> one's journey in FOSS, but not as a book of law.

+ 100

cheers

--
Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg