[WFS-India] Report on the Git workshop last night

Satabdi Das satabdidas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 11:12:58 UTC 2013

> No News flash is not for reports. It is for announcing things.
>
> Reports go to foss news.
>
> Articles is for articles, studies, preprints, howtos, not event reports.
>
> All the 3 sections have been lying vacant till we updated the News Flash
section with the events report. So, I suggest that even if we move the
report to FOSS News section, we suppress News Flash and Articles till we
feel a need for it.

Ideally, the website should be as simple and neat as possible. I still
consider myself a beginner in FOSS (since I have started contributing to it
since last December although I have been using it since past 8 years or so)
and I get put off by too many things in a single page. As a new comer, if I
visit a website, I would like to check out

1. the opportunities in FOSS - jobs, internships, programming contests,
conferences nearby etc
2. any interesting stuff - like workshops, hackfests, meet ups etc - which
will help me learn new interesting stuff.
3. may be about interesting people who has done cool things.

Along with the above, we should put our goal and a neat write up about FOSS
philosophy in the central place so that even if people come to check out
the above, they can not escape seeing what this group is all about and why
do we care to bring more women into FOSS.

Thus both the parties gain in a visit. We by propagating FOSS philosophy
and getting new interested member in the group and newbies by getting
information about new opportunities which they might not get in their
colleges/offices etc.

Thanks,
Satabdi