[WFS-India] feedback on using the word "M$"

Aruna S safincrazy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 18:00:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Aruna S <safincrazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think a lot of them understand what an "OS with freedom" is and
> why
> > Windows does not have that 'freedom". We should have sessions on that
> before
> > being presumptuous.
> >
> It will help them to start thinking.

I really doubt that. Most of them will assume that
a)It's a typo

or worse

b) Not see your perspective of things.

Unless we have happy and positive symbols associated with all the other
free software names there, like PC-BSD (Somehow get a smiley face inside
the D), we are really not getting your message across.

When I mentioned that I'm suggesting this "out of personal experience", I
meant that I have been guilty of demoting Windows to convert people to FOSS
users. It has never worked as I thought it would. Either people meekly
agree with me because they are ignorant and I sound smart for putting down
something popular or they get really aggressive about the ease and
simplicity of using Windows without ever having given GNU/Linux a try. I
think both approaches are not what we want.

> > I really do think that it is best to refrain from mentioning MS Windows
> or
> > M$-Windows in the website except when we suggest how to install
> packages. In
> > those cases, we can always leave a note in the "How to install packages
> on
> > MS Windows"  section saying that we encourage the use of free
> software(And
> > add the bit about how "the cause of free software would be compromised by
> > the use of MS-Windows") and would love to help people set up free
> software
> > on their systems and work with them while they learn to grow fond of it.
>
> What I have written is ... a few words on freedom.
> Not a lecture on M$'s evils.

True, but let's just let MS Windows be without giving them too much
attention, good or bad.

Instead, let's focus on being passionate, warm people who want these women
to give FOSS a chance by being HEP(helpful, encouraging, polite and
positive) like Satabdi said. ;)

> Since tomorrow is the last date, I can drop references to M$ windows
> altogether :)
> That is always better (done).

Sounds great, since I know how much you dislike Windows. :)

Warmly,
 Aruna