[WFS-India] Updated: poster competition article

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 6 21:07:56 UTC 2013

Hello.

I'm happy to see that background is open to some debate; Here are my
humble toughs.

2013/6/6 A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com>

> UPDATE
> WFS India in collaboration with Glug-Cal, Fedora and Mozilla announces
> a poster competition on women's, LGBT and gender-related issues in
> India using free software tools as part of the extended Cultural
> Freedom Day celebrations. You stand to win exciting prizes by your
> participation.
>
> Background
>
> We hear a number of reports in the media about crimes against women
> and minorities on a daily basis. We cannot really remain silent about
> these because they stand to affect our lives and safety.

It would be better not to start with the bad, but start with the good, we
are trying to encourage, not courage; people. so, here are my toughs.

"Women around the world have an opinion that want to be heard; from IT
sysadmins to housewives, female society has the gift of creativity, and our
contest wants to open a door through where women, from India and other
regions; can speak their minds."

Probably adding more a focus into that they will be using FLOSS could be
nice.

> The cause of such a situation can be related to illiteracy of large
> sections of the populations, absence of sex education in any form in
> the education system, a patriarchal system that curtails the rights of
> women and minorities, inadequate and poorly trained law enforcement
> forces and inadequate laws. Activists will say that the problem of
> dealing with the decadent patriarchy is hard because it has merged
> itself with cultural, religious and business practices at the cost of
> basic human values. More recently, even the minimalist recommendations
> of the Verma commission have not been fully accepted by the Government
> resulting in the laws remaining sub-human in nature.

Talking about what causes social issues has to be what they show into their
artwork; problems exist all around the world, however, an abstract cannot
show opinions such as "activists says..." since we are not trying to make a
point, we are letting the door open so women speak their opinions WITH
artwork.

> It is no wonder that the human rights abuses of women and LGBT people
> is the norm. If you reflect on the issues involved, then you will
> realize that the progress of the entire society is affected as a
> consequence.

Again, we are not attacking, we are letting them do it with their art.

> This poster competition is for highlighting various facets of the
> problem and possible egalitarian solutions.
>

> A poster is not gonna solve any problem, posters are to create awareness
and conscience about the problem; the main goal HAS to be to select an
awesome poster that encourage women to keep on; not to start a riot.

> Who Can Participate?
>
> Anybody can participate*.
>
> Those with no previous experience with poster-making/digital art can
> start with Tux-Paint.

Awesome

> * We will not be able to send prizes to regions falling outside the
> country, but anyway do participate.

Probably this could be discussed.

> What Are We Expecting?
>
> We expect great posters that has one or more of the following attributes:
>
>  Conveys a positive message with educational value on feminist issues.
>  Highlights social evils.

Highligh social evils? really? I would rather "highlight women power"

 Demands reforms in a powerful way.

Again, is not about start a riot

>  Rectifies common misconceptions about gender and sex.

Could be rephrased into something more "Encourage rights equality"

>  Conveys deeper aspects of the development of social evils.

Again, should be about showing the good

>  Says something on the participation of women in the free software
> movement.
>
> How To Participate?
>
>  Read this announcement.
>  Prepare your posters as per the guidelines below.
>  Submit you posters along with form at this submission link.
>

> Submission:
>
> Click Here for Submitting Your Entry
>
> Competition Rules and Guidelines:
>
>  A registered participant can submit any number of entries.
>  All entries must be done using free software tools like GIMP,
> TeXLive, ImageMagick, TuX Paint, Inkscape, ScanTailor, Scribus, Synfig
> Studio, Asymptote, Libre Office and Open Office Draw. These tools are
> available for ALL operating systems including Ubuntu, Fedora, other
> GNU/Linux distributions,  PC-BSD, M$-Windows. We prefer submissions in
> xcf, .eps or other good image formats.
>  All entries must include an outline of the main steps involved and
> some proof of the use of tools. A description (in less than 200 words)
> of the intended message of the art work should also be included.
>  Entries will be licensed under Creative Commons Share Alike -3.0
> (with Attrition).
>  Photos and other art works used in the poster should be suitably
> acknowledged.
>  Entries should be no smaller than A4 size and no larger than A2 size.
>  No plagiarism. Submitted posters should not be copies of other
> people's work and should involve substantial creativity of the
> artists.
>  Only entries that pass minimal sanity check will be displayed in our
> e-gallery.
>  Decision of the judges will be final and binding.
>
> Important Dates:
>
> Submission Begins: 1st June'2013
> Last Date of Submission: 14th June'2013
> Announcement of Results: 15th June'2013
> Gallery Update: By 24th June'2013
>
> Panel of Judges:
>
> A. Mani
> María "tatica" Leandro
> Shweta Srivatsava
> Sourav Sen Gupta
>
> Competition Coordination:
>
> A. Mani
>
> Prizes:
>
> Flash drives with Fedora and /or Books for top three entries.
> 2 consolation prizes.
> Certificates of Merit.

> freenode.

The rest looks ok to me