[WFS-India] Winners of Poster Competition

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 18:19:54 UTC 2013

( On behalf of the Judges Panel)

We are pleased to announce that the winners of the poster competition are

C. Srividya (2 entries)
Ani Dalal (1 entry ).

Decision making was easy as we had 3 top spots.

(Prizes will be sent by courier soon).

Here are some of the messages accompanying the entries (If we are
putting these too on the website, then a few minor edits would be
helpful.)

Ani Dalal : " The picture depicts someone holding the hands of someone else.
In one way it can be visualised as the relation between two persons
who may belong to different sex, and the message indicating that one
should not be held back/constrained by the other, it indicates freedom
and courage, and dawn of a new world, a better world for all,
irrespective of their gender or any other form of dicrimination.",

Spelling : discrimination

"Stock photo of two persons holding hands from free-extras.com
Using selection tool in gimp the areas were selected and separated and
coloured in shades of blue and red. A hand shaped custom brush was
used to give the colours a texture. The text was put in, inbetween the
layers , and the one in white at last. Lastly the layers were merged
and the effects olify and lens flare were used. The image was resized
due to the large file size and exported to png format for easy
upload."

Srividya, C. : "LGBT is an initialism that collectively refers to the
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community. The term LGBT is
intended to emphasize a diversity of sexuality and gender
identity-based cultures and is sometimes used to refer to anyone who
is non-heterosexual or non-cisgender instead of exclusively to people
who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.  Give value to
Humanity. Whatever the person personal life may be, but he will be a
human at the end of the day.
Love Humanity... Love all the people around you.... Support
LGBT...bring them to society with care and affection....!! "

Suggestion: Remove or rewrite "Whatever the person personal life may
be, but he will be a human at the end of the day." It is not gender
neutral.

Srividya, C.: "The Free Software needs cultural change. This can be
best bought up by involving Women in it. FOSS contributors do various
things: software development, system administration, user interface
design, graphic design, documentation, community management,
marketing, identifying issues and reporting bugs, helping users, event
organization, and translations. Men involve majorly in Coding and
packaging side and only less people involve in other aspects like
documenting, event organization, and translations. So women can enter
to these fields and slowly start contributing to FOSS. Translation is
the major phase in software which localizes the software to their own
languages.
There are so many Women in Free software organizations who have
reached Great heights in Free Software by contributing in their own
way. Some of them have become the leading power of Software
organizations. If those women have achieved, they why not we? Free
Software is not Gender Specific. It gives value to Humanity. So what
are you waiting for? Next is our turn...!!! "

Congratulations to the winners!

Interestingly, we received all our entries before 13th June and well
before the extension of dates.

Best

A. Mani

--