[WFS-India] Draft : New Libre Group

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 02:44:47 UTC 2013

Draft for new free software group with a broader focus.

Feel free to comment on it.

(One part is very specialized)

Not sure about name
____________________________________

Feminist Free Software Movement

This movement intends to take both feminist causes and free software
movement seriously and simultaneously.

Much progress has happened in the handling of human aspects from a
formal perspective at applied level, but their impact on software
development has not been substantial and a lot can be expected to
happen in the near future. It is a fact that we cannot efficiently
handle human emotions in a formal way - that should not be an excuse
for bad specifications.

Specifications do not come out of the air. They must be specified and
documented and ultimately originate in objective reality. Free
software distributions cannot be independent of this and the
artificial delimitations implicit in the construction of software
should be changed in a positive way to accommodate users of diverse
specifications. Proper accommodation can be a medium of socio-economic
change and progress.

>From a different perspective, commercial and non-commercial interests
of different GNU/Linux distributions contribute negatively to the
expansion of their networks. The problems are in their limited vision
of user involvement and needs. Networks tend to strenthen internally
but fail to expand in any substantial way after a certain point of
time. One possible way is to add more semantics to the network - we
want to integrate free software with knowledge that addresses specific
human problems for reaching out to newer communities (both hidden and
visible) and more efficient utilization of resources. The problem of
reforming and educating people is also our concern.

We want to expand networks in a very targeted way.

To be precise, we will be concerned with the following:

1. Applied Feminist Perspectives (human non-discriminatory varieties)
2. Free Software Advocacy, Adoption and development (with a
socio-economic and cultural perspective) among women and gender
minorities.
3. Artificial Intelligence, Soft Computing.
4. Sexual and Gender Rights
5. Free Software Specifications.
6. Region-specific Adaptations.

Who can participate?

Anybody with positive interest in some of the topics and a willingness
to contribute/learn may participate.

Best

A. Mani

--