[pydata-outreach-staff] Laptop setup guide, and questions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Dec 13 00:14:21 UTC 2012

Status of the setup guide so far:

* Discovered an un under-documented dependency on Cython -- the build from
git abruptly fails in the absence of Cython (it's in the README, but in
the 'optional' section, so I missed it) (all platforms)

* Discovered the build fails with a confusing error message with Cython
0.15; requires Cython 0.17.1 (all platforms)

* Discovered EPD doesn't include Cython, so users would have to install
that (Windows-related)

* Tested EPD with the MinGW compiler, as suggested;
http://bugs.python.org/issue12641 AKA
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6034390/compiling-with-cython-and-mingw-produces-gcc-error-unrecognized-command-line-o
are preventing the compile from finishing.

* Discovered that it all builds fine with Anaconda Python, so that might
be worth recommending (Windows-related) (Probably the fact that Anaconda
bundles Cython works around the mingw issue)

I hoped the build would be more straightforward; I still aim to have a
workable version of these notes produced by today, but it might be pretty
late in the day.

During the sprint, I might focus my own work on smoothing out these sorts
of build issues and submitting pull requests with those changes.

-- Asheesh.