[pydata-outreach-staff] Laptop setup guide, and questions

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 22:25:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Chang She <chang at lambdafoundry.com> wrote:

>> I've written an initial version of this, and I used git as the wiki suggests. I've put my content here: https://github.com/paulproteus/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/Laptop%20setup
>>
>> I tried to do a push to the original repo, and I got this error message:
>>
>> $ git push
>>
>> ERROR: Permission to svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint.wiki.git denied to paulproteus.
>> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Afaik, the github wiki is freely editable by anyone with a GH account.
Try to add a page to this Homepage:
https://github.com/svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki
That should work, but let me know.

> I'm new to the list so sorry if this has already been discussed, but in my experience the easiest way to setup Python would be to use Enthough Python Distribution or Anaconda CE from Continuum.io (both free). It already includes everything so you don't need to mess with it too much.
>
> You do need to install the latest for pandas and build it from source. It's easy for linux users.

A small note on my experience, If you are trying to install the EPD
inside a virtualenv, its a small dance with the dependency, but unlike
me, most people are not picky about a segregated development
environment. So, unless someone asks, I wont complicate things and
scare them off :)

> Windows users should just run and hide.
lol :)

--