[pydata-outreach-staff] Laptop setup guide, and questions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 11 21:32:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I think something short should be fine for us, but I definitely do want
> people to be fully prepared by the time lecture starts. That way, we
> minimize the number of environment-related questions that the lecturer
> gets, and let him focus on the core teaching he wanted to do.
>
> So here's an outline for what I think we'd need before the lecture:
>
> * Make sure the computer has Python installed
>
> * Make sure you know how to get into a Python interpreter prompt
>
> * A text editor installed that they know how to use
>
> * Pandas installed locally

I've written an initial version of this, and I used git as the
wiki suggests. I've put my content here:
https://github.com/paulproteus/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/Laptop%20setup

I tried to do a push to the original repo, and I got this error message:

$ git push

ERROR: Permission to svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint.wiki.git denied to
paulproteus.

Given that, vid, would you grant me permission to edit the wiki on Github,
via granting me permission to write to the repo?

Otherwise I can either:

* attach my suggested changes here on the mailing list, or

* edit on the website.

For now I'm editing on my fork here:
https://github.com/paulproteus/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/Laptop%20setup

I'm happy to remove the fork, and merge back into mainline once I have
push access; the fork is just a convenient way for people to see the
contents while I'm writing, and while we figure out access.
https://github.com/paulproteus/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki does indicate
to any possible other visitors that this isn't the real site.

I'll use whatever works, but would be happiest with push access so I can
keep enjoying the git life. Just let me know and I'll do it whatever way
works for everyone.

Thanks! And comments welcome on the actual text!

-- Asheesh.