[pydata-outreach-staff] Clarifying the "workshop & sprint"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Dec 9 07:41:34 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I was looking over the schedule at
https://github.com/svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/2012-NYC and was
wondering what the difference was intended to be between "Guided group
work" and "SPRINT time."

Is the notion that in the "guided group work" time, people are strongly
urged to work together in small groups, and then at 3 PM, they're
encouraged (if they wish) to work solo?

I think that structure could be really neat, as a way to really encourage
people to collaborate and teach each other. Usually what I've done is
break into more solo work sooner, and if I understand this right, then I
think the suggested way is a really interesting notion.

We'll probably want to be sure to reserve some suitably substantial tasks
for the 3 PM portion -- not so huge as to require huge amounts of Pandas
knowledge, but not so small that one person can just do it by themselves.

I'm a little confused that the "SPRINT" time repeats the
beginner-friendliness as if new people are expected to arrive just for
sprint time. Presumably we're not intended for more people to arrive at
that time, we're just re-iterating our commitment to make it a great
experience for beginners?

Thanks! I'm impressed with the level of forethought that's already gone
into the event.

-- Asheesh.