[pydata-outreach-staff] PyData event planning and ToDo tasks before 16Dec.

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:07:43 UTC 2012

Hello Folks,

I am so excited that the PyData even is finally happening and glad to
see so many women sign up to volunteer for the PyData event-staff
list. Thank you!
Below, I am listing out the current status so all of us can be on the
same page.

1.] The main wiki for announcement,
<https://github.com/svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki>
I created a github repo so that I can give easy access to anyone who
wants to maintain/update it or create new pages for task-related
stuff. Also women in other US cities are interested in holding such
events so it would be very easy and useful if they can fork and
conduct such events themselves and use our ideas. Fun!

2.] <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsHHfv9TpNAUdDJ1UVpvbHJCdjFwX2x4Q3VobEd3dXc>
contains a list of all the people who expressed an interest in the
survey I conducted to see if there might be any interest at all before
approaching the core-devs for the workshop. Not all of them have
registered on eventbrite and I am unsure if its considered polite to
poke them about registering for the event (since I've spammed all the
usual mailing lists and irc channels AND blogged and tweeted about
it). I plan to mail them just once, as a gentle reminder, but its the
holiday season and people may have other plans. Am I mistaken about
emailing them a reminder that the googledoc was not a registration?

3.] Lunch
The PSF is sponsoring our lunch (mostly pizzas and fizzy drinks), the
finances and co-ordination of which will be handled by Asheesh and OH,
his non-profit. Anyone who wishes to help him out with planning that
please feel free to chime in here. He will be coming from Boston, so
it will be nice if someone can co-ordinate that before hand.
FWIW, I am new to your city so I've been asking around and was given
the following tips:
- Pivotal is located in Manhattan, with easy access to good pizzerias
nearby, who will take care of the delivery (dont forget to tip them -
thumb rule, 15% if you eat out and 20% if they deliver).
- Dont forget to ask for tissues/napkins, plates, forks, glasses (for
the drinks), etc.. Usually it comes free from the place you order
food.
- Preferably keep Vegan, Vegetarian and gluten-free options in food
(personally speaking, I have eaten a vegan pizza and didnt enjoy it
much, so I dont know how you folks plan to handle this. As for gluten,
wheat has it in copious amount *sigh* I wish we had the funding to
accommodate everyone :/)
- Dont order more food than necessary -- as in, No.of pizzas ==
[{number of registered attendees) / (2 slices per person, avg)]
- If there is any leftover food or drinks leave them in the Pivotal
lab fridge. They will use it.
These are the tips that are fresh in my memory and I hope you will
find something useful. Feel free to fork it as you wish.

4.] Give-aways : I got O'reilly on board (yay). I would have loved to
see a book but because of the short notice, they are giving out
coupons to Wes 's book on Pydata for sprint attendees, so can I
mention that on the wiki page? I thought it would be a nice surprise
but mentioning it now is also good as its an advertisement for
O'reilly's generosity. Thoughts?

5] Visiting the Pivotal Lab space a day or two before the event. I
plan to do that sometime next week, so if anyone wants to join me,
please holler.

These were the main things that I remember now. Please feel free to
chime in with your thoughts and ideas. Would love to hear them.

In summary, tasks that need help with are #2, #3, and #5, so please
consider volunteering :) Again THANK YOU! for being here!

Thanks and Regards,
Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com