[OH-Publicity] "Infrequently Asked Questions" post

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri May 10 02:26:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a new post draft up:
>
> https://openhatch.org/blog/?p=1757&preview=1&_ppp=bcccc66bfb

Great post!

So many great pictures, but all below the fold. Maybe a small version
of each, all arranged horizontally before the first question?

   "At each event, we’ve noticed a number of unique, thought-provoking
questions."

I'd go with something more lively:

   "At each Open Source Comes to Campus event, participants ask
unique, thought-provoking questions."

The title says Wellesley, but this isn't mentioned in the post. I'd
say questions are from there if they are and link to
https://openhatch.org/blog/2013/wellesley/

   "If they want to use a feature of an IDE, they can usually find
some other way to get it."

I think it would read better with "you" instead of "they".

   "There’s no obvious answers here."

Maybe "There are"?

   "Over the summers, you can apply for"

You actually apply in the northern spring. :) Maybe  skip before the
comma, as Summer is in the program name. Oh, and doesn't the GNOME
program run both hemispheric summers?

    ‘students for free culture’

Could probably be an active link rather than enclosed with single quotes.

   Why are CS programs so theoretical?  Does it really help with
practical programming work?

"it" might read better as "they" or "theory" depending what is meant.

   "As two examples:"

I'd probably tack that on the previous paragraph -- "feasible, as two
examples show:"

Mike