[OH-Publicity] SCALE planning

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Feb 20 20:07:24 UTC 2013

Hey all,

Deb Nicholson and I chatted a few days ago about how to make the best
use of SCALE, since I sadly won't be going due to personal reasons, and
also because in general it's good to have one's goals clearly
thought-out.

OpenHatchy goals at SCALE
-------------------------

There will be a bunch of people who care about mentorship at the
mentorship track at SCALE. It'd be great to help them be more aware of
things like Open Source Comes to Campus and the training missions.

We can inform them right there and then through flyers, and we can aim
to get them to join our announce list so they stay tuned to future
updates.

Strategy
--------

Deb and I were thinking it'd be great to hand out flyers about the
project, perhaps also seeing if LinuxChix wanted to hand some out at
their booth.

Next step: We should design some flyers!

The publicity team seems to have an empty git repo here:
https://github.com/openhatch/oh-publicity

I'll add some past flyers to it, but if someone else (e.g. Karen) wants
to design fresh ones, I would not object at all!

I was thinking we'd be sure to talk about the following things:

* Open Source Comes to Campus, for Women in Computing

* Web-based list of bitesize bugs in open source

* Training missions

* Community of people who run and discuss outreach events in open source
and programming groups

* JOIN OUR MAILING LIST TO STAY IN TOUCH!

I'd like to see at least 5 new followers on Facebook or the Announce
list come from the flyering effort.

We can handle logistics pretty easily by sending the PDF of the flyer to
a copy shop near the conference and asking them to cut the flyers into
1/4 page sizes. Deb strongly suggested the use of cardstock so people's
flyers don't get lost, which I agree with.

Other thoughts