[OH-Publicity] Middle-of-summer blog posts about GSoC

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 1 00:24:11 UTC 2013

Hey Dave and Tarashish,

I was wondering if perhaps we could have you two spend some time, in the
next week, to write about your GSoC projects, with the idea that your post
should live on the OpenHatch blog.

I was thinking you might explain your project with perhaps the following
format:

First, an introduction: One or two paragraphs

* A link to your proposal

* A one-sentence summary of what you're doing this summer

* A one-sentence summary of why it's a useful thing to be doing

Then, a screenshot: Anything related to your project that might catch
someone's eye

Then, in the rest of blog post, make sure to mention:

* Link to your personal GSoC blog

* Link to where in the world you live

* Discussion of what motivated you to work on this project

* A story about one challenge you've overcome this summer, be it
technical, social, or some combination

* A story about one thing that was easier than you expected

* If you're interested in writing about technical details behind the
project, we'd love that!

I'm CC:ing the publicity mailing list because I think it's important that
people other than me understand your post, so you should follow the
standard post creation and review process here:
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/publicity/2012-October/000142.html
(crucially, someone on the publicity list should give your post a
thumbs-up).

It's fine if your post ends up having to be revised during review; that's
the point of review!

To reply to the publicity list, you'll probably need to join it. You can
do that here: http://lists.openhatch.org/mailman/listinfo/publicity

Cheers,

Asheesh.