[OH-Publicity] A quick synopsis of our blog post workflow

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 5 05:10:24 UTC 2012

Hey all Party and/or Publicity People,

I realized that there isn't a good place outside my head that documents
the workflow we usually use for getting blog posts published on the
OpenHatch blog. So here is how it goes.

1. Create a blog post draft

You can do this with whatever tools you like.

2. (Optional) Have some private review with people

You can do this, too, with whatever tools you like.

3. Send it to this list, OH-Publicity, for review, as HTML

When you send it to the list, I personally suggest using
http://htmlpad.org/ to host your HTML. It makes it easy for other people
to review your text and edit formatting.

We have an idiom that the first line of the HTML that you submit for
review is the title of the post, and that you will put it in <b>bold</b>.

Also, it's helpful if you indicate if you'd prefer people *do* modify the
HTML as it is on the web, or if instead they give you feedback on the list
and you go update the HTML yourself. If you don't specify it, you're
likely to get some people emailing the list with bullet points of what to
change, and other people (likely myself) editing your HTML directly.

As a special case of this, if you have permission to post on the OpenHatch
blog already, you can use the "public post preview" feature and send that
link here.

(If you happen to not be able to write HTML, then you can give it to the
list in some other format, but you'll need someone's help eventually to
convert it to HTML before it actually goes on the blog.)

4. Wait for ~24 hours or one positive review, then post it

If you don't have blog posting permission, someone usually will be happy
to give it to you, if what you're posting is suitably OpenHatchy.
(Everything that has made it to this list has been suitably OpenHatchy, so
don't worry too much about that criterion.)

(Note: The OpenHatch blog will automatically send a link to
https://identi.ca/openhatch and https://twitter.com/openhatch with your
post title and a link.)

5. (Optional) Redent/tweet it personally and be excited

You know, that social media stuff, and the general pride-in-your-work
stuff.

Mike Linksvayer did a great job of that recently by being the first person
to redent+retweet the recent OpenHatch Newsletter.

Now at least there's an email in the archives we can point people to! If
someone wants to move to this to the wiki, I will owe you a chocolate chip
cookie, or a similar treat, at your option.