[OH-Publicity] Draft of "Open Source Comes to Campus" fall 2012 overview post

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 9 18:19:37 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Jessica McKellar's message of Thu Aug 09 08:16:17 -0400 2012:
> Hi Asheesh,
>
> Thanks for working on this. A couple of comments:

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for this feedback! I've updated the post with those suggestions:

http://htmlpad.org/campus-post/

Detailed responses follow.

> - I think amongst the previous events we have a stronger photo to lead
> this with, perhaps with people smiling. Here's what I've got:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicamckellar/sets/72157629123742210/

How about
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicamckellar/6943684235/in/set-72157629123742210/ ?

Second-best:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicamckellar/6797568250/in/set-72157629123742210/

I have some photos from the RPI event, but none are quite as jovial. Full
photo set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicamckellar/6797568250/in/set-72157629123742210/

I love some of the photos from Penn, but I feel they've been overplayed
already.

> - "For example, varying by event, 22-50% of our attendees have been
> young women." happens before explaining with OSCTC is.

Fixed.

I expanded on that a slight bit, and moved that sentence a paragraph down.

> - "We believe that newcomer-friendly text and wide distribution of
> information about the event are the keys to our success on this metric
> so far." I think a big part of this has been allying ourselves with
> women's groups at colleges.

I think it's both (we didn't do any allying at Penn, for example, and
still got great representation). I adjusted the text to say both of
those.

Now that sentence says:

"We believe that our newcomer-friendly event description and allying with women's
groups at colleges are the keys to our success on this metric so far."

Does that seem accurate and clear?

> - "Our goal is to have every attendee submit a change to an active
> open source community." feels out of place. Perhaps it should go above
> the previous paragraph.

Moved; good thought.

> - "submiting" => "submitting"

Thanks for catching that!

I did a spell check of the rest of document, which only caught the
word "discussers". Online dictionaries seem to think that's a word.