[OH-Publicity] Projects that could stand to link to the training missions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Sep 30 16:08:16 UTC 2011

Hey all Publicitiarians,

One of the features of the OpenHatch site is the interactive training
missions -- e.g. http://openhatch.org/missions/git -- that teach new
contributors skills they need to join a project.

One of the release goals was to get more projects to link the training
missions. Right, now WordPress and GNU MediaGoblin link to us, but we
could use more inbound links to increase awareness.

I decided to make a list of (at least) 20 projects that, I thought, might
want to link new contributors to the training missions. The way I did it
was I went through /usr/share/doc/*/ on my laptop and looked all the
packages I had installed, and thought about if the maintainers were
looking for more contributors.

Python itself
Fluxbox
awesome
empathy
enigmail
gnome-power-manager
gnome-terminal
k3b
Amarok
Evolution
libreoffice
libspeex
Subversion itself
WINE
miredo
mumble
postfix
pulseaudio
python-beautifulsoup
python-mechanize
python-opengl
qemu
rhythmbox
sound-juicer
seahorse
sudo
synaptic
vim
virtualbox

It would be great if we reached out to maintainers/contributors in these
projects and found out if they thought their contributors could use skills
that the training missions teach.

That's my idea for getting us more inbound links, at least! Other
ideas/discussion welcome.