[OH-Publicity] Blog post idea: How the Dutch government worked to make OpenVPN the product they wanted

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Dec 2 19:30:44 UTC 2011

I think the blog could use more posts along the lines of, "We at OpenHatch
teach you skills related to participating in open source communities.
Here's a concrete example of why it's important."

One such story is the recent collaboration between the Dutch government,
via a tech consulting firm, and OpenVPN. The nice thing about the story is
that it seems to be a great example of one entity wanting some software to
exist, and working with someone whose open source community communication
skills made it possible to not just create that software, but make it part
of the main OpenVPN project.

It's quite interesting to read the IRC logs and wiki discussions of the
suggested changes here:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/PolarSSLintegration

Slashdot already covered it here:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/11/24/1827251/dutch-government-officially-trusts-openvpn-nl
but I think it's quite topical for our readers.

So I'm curious if anyone on OH-Publicity would like to write a post about
it! I imagine it could be as short as a one-paragraph note, or probably up
to 3-5 paragraphs if you can find interesting tidbits to pull out of the
story.