[Peers] 2013-2014 OpenHatch goals

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Oct 3 20:41:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Karl Fogel wrote:

> This all sounds like tremendously organized thinking -- thank you,
> Asheesh.
>
> I realize that it's always dangerous to ask for hard numbers in areas
> where success may not be easy to measure (sort of akin to looking for
> your keys under the streetlamp because that's where the light is best!)
> but:
>
> Does OpenHatch have any idea of the number of people who have become
> participants in open source projects thanks (in whole or in part) to
> OpenHatch?  Or any other numbers that might be useful?
>
> Again, I'm very wary of the push toward the quantitative, so please
> don't worry if no numbers are easily available.  If you do have some,
> though, it'd be great to know them.

Well, goodness, it's great to hear from you, Karl!

re: ...who have become participants: We're going to go back and see if we
can examine Github activity of past participants. We'll know more after
that. I would say we're at the start of seriously trying to measure this.

We've had ~100 people show up to events in this semester (probably ~50-75
more). Our Chicago-area event which was only open to women had ~25 people
in attendance; our events are typically 20-50% women. First half of the
year, ballpark 80 people came to our events.

BTW Karl, you're likely to enjoy
http://lists.openhatch.org/mailman/listinfo/events as well.

I think the push toward the quantitative can be really great, honestly.
My eyes were opened by _How To Measure Everything_ that Michael Stone
recommended to me.

-- Asheesh.