[Peers] More-frequent updates on what I'm up to (especially important as we create the non-profit)

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Mon Oct 17 21:31:39 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

I had a nice chat with Karen a few hours ago, and one thing she asked for
was more transparency with what I'm up to. As a general rule, I keep a day
plan on paper, which doesn't help with having the rest of you know what
OpenHatch is up to.

As we create the new non-profit, we're going to need a place to store
incorporation documents, tax papers, and other things we want to show the public.
I figured I'd get started with that by making "corp.openhatch.org" and
publishing a daily (ish) Captain's Log there.

It's an informal list of the things I did during each day. To keep it easy to post to,
I intend to just look at my day planner and write one bullet point for each item
I achieved that was related to OpenHatch.

The way I'm doing that, for now, is by using ikiwiki on my personal computer
against this git repository: https://gitorious.org/openhatch/oh-corp
and then publishing a static version of that on the web here:

http://corp.openhatch.org/

RSS feed of Captain's Log posts: http://corp.openhatch.org/index.rss

First post below.

-- Asheesh.

Captain's Log, initial

* Over the weekend, I read the entire How to form a non-profit book by Nolo Press. We're going to have to pay special attention to Schedule G. I think that our educational mission will fit nicely within 501(c)3.
* Talked with Karen, who suggested I write more frequently about what I'm up to as the "project lead." Partly by emailing Peers more, and partly by keeping a daily "What I've done related to OpenHatch" diary. I decided to call that the Captain's Log.
* Asked one prospective board member if she'd consider a board seat. She said she'd consider it.
* I'm happy about the way the front page redesign is going and quite happy with the progress toward having a Boston Python Workshop website. Jessica McKellar is working on fundraising for BPW.