[Peers] user interface satisfaction

jim jim at well.com
Thu May 13 22:06:10 UTC 2010

   i'm not happy. i want to connect with a project,
but i give up shortly after playing with the OH site.
all i can offer right now is feelings, but they may
be helpful.

   i wanna find something fun. i have no idea which
projects might be fun (what's fun? people involved
are happy and playful). i can't figure that out by
reading the scant text available (a project name by
itself is pretty much no clue; i don't recognize
most of the project names).
   i wanna find something that's local to me so i
can hang out physically with other people. it'd be
nice to have regional info along with People involved,
Link, Status, Importance.... i know many projects
involve people all over the world, but most projects
have mentors in only a few places--it's the mentors'
locale that's important.
   i wanna filter out stuff i don't care about and/or
filter in stuff i care about. e.g. no solaris, no
desktop gui, any django, any embedded systems, any
modules (device drivers), any parrot. i haven't
discovered any filtering that suits my wishes (it
might be there, of course).
   if OH hasn't got info on stuff i wanna get into
(e.g. django, parrot, seems OH doesn't have much
about those projects), i'd like a convenient button or
some such to let me investigate (so why don't i just
access the django or parrot web site? because i'm
amazingly lazy; i don't want to have to navigate through
their web sites and hope i find a path to contribution
and--very important to me--a path to mentoring; my
mindset is OH-like, i wanna feel like OH is with me in
my wanderings, i wanna hook up to something good and
fun and..., so i'd like some kind of OH portal features
that do some of the navigation for me and maybe scrapes
useful info from my digging attempts).

supportively,
jim