[Peers] what's in it for you?

Kevin Turner keturn at keturn.net
Wed Mar 31 01:22:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 21:52 +0000, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> [...]
> Others have suggested we add another question to our project pages:
> What would a new contributor get out of choosing *this* project?
> What would you think about us adding a question for maintainers along
> those lines?

That sounds like the same sort of thing I was looking for, yes.

> The video takes this a step up, but it's a step up in work that I personally
> have difficulty imagining myself doing.

If someone did the initial feature development, would you accept it?  Or
are you also concerned about the ongoing maintenance and support costs?

> But maybe it'd be really cool -- can you think of how it would
> integrate with the OpenHatch site? Or would it instead be a different
> "open source feel good" site whose purpose was simply to promote those
> videos?

Well, the reason I'm floating the idea here is because I have little
desire to spin up and maintain an entirely independent site -- I'm not
confident it has sufficient draw to work by itself -- but if it falls in
line with the mission of another project like OpenHatch it might be more
sustainable.

So as far as integration goes, I guess I see it as being another axis
that you'd use when browsing volunteer opportunities.  That means taking
the answers to the above question ("What would a new contributor get out
of choosing *this* project?") and applying some categorization scheme to
make it browsable, which you'd probably just do with folksonomy via
tagging.

As for the videos, they could appear in search results and project
pages, or you could stitch videos together to create a sort of
video-search-result.