[Peers] San Francisco next week!

Raphael Krut-Landau raphael at openhatch.org
Thu Apr 22 18:20:19 UTC 2010

Hi Peers!

We're going to be in San Francisco all of next week. If you're in the
area and want to meet up, hear our ideas and dreams, and share your
trade wisdom, give Asheesh a call at (585) 506-8865, or email us at
hello at openhatch.org. We'll be keeping http://openhatch.org/blog/ up to
date with our schedule.

We also thought you might be interested to know what's happening with
OpenHatch...

What is it, again?
 - A website where people are finding interesting things to work on in
Free/Open Source Software.

Who uses that thing?
 - 900 registered users (= about half of a percent of the known FLOSS universe*)
 - 30% of our daily hits are returning users
 - We've indexed 2,500 bugs, including 1,500 bitesize bugs, from 227
FLOSS projects
 - 60 projects have started discussions about how to get involved -
this includes Firefox, Thunderbird, Ubuntu, Sugar, Twisted, Gwibber
and StatusNet

And we've recently received a bit of media coverage (recently on
Slashdot http://ur1.ca/whw1 and the Linux Cranks podcast
<http://ur1.ca/whwb>).

Best of all - we had the enormous pleasure of working with Parkey
Phinney <http://madebyparker.com/>, who interned with us during his
winter break from college. His internship was sponsored in full by
http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/ and http://www.dartmouth.edu/~neukom/.

By the way, sorry we've been out of touch! We're going to start using
announce at lists.openhatch.org on a regular basis, and encouraging more
discussion at discuss at lists.openhatch.org. (Lately we have been
blogging and Tweeting/Denting a lot, but we've neglected our mailing
lists.) We will be signing up you guys plus our existing user-base for
that list (and letting people opt out).

Very best wishes,

Raffi and Asheesh,
The OpenHatch Team

http://openhatch.org
http://twitter.com/openhatchery
http://identi.ca/openhatchery
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OpenHatch/108578243652

*If all of our registered users are FLOSS developers, then they
represent somewhere between 0.6% and 1% of the estimated total number
of FLOSS developers, which is about 100-150K people.