[pedagogy] Be a plague of programming

Selena Deckelmann selena at chesnok.com
Sun Mar 24 18:36:44 UTC 2013

Hi!

Thanks for joining! Glad to see you around here!

Our goal: be as effective as the common cold.

Read more about what we're here for and please comment:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LiWCjxXn4RYtXhWyshTloD7hO3oKognL3HBlZBXSQdw/edit

First draft for pedagogy mailing list antics

We’re here to infect our communities with great teaching.

Our goals are to:

* Share what we know

* Publish what’s best

* Learn from each other

We share lessons that rock, horror stories of things we’ll never try again
and the moments that make teaching so fun and rewarding.

We’ll report out from the list under a Creative Commons license.

Topics include but aren’t limited to: classroom management, lesson
planning, strategy, assessment, instructor training and lesson swapping.

We’re mostly Pythonistas, and discussion involving other languages is
welcome.

A short list of things I’d love to see posted to this list:

* Post-workshop or class braindumps

* Lesson plans and notes

* Links to course materials, handouts, resources

* Discussion of strategy for teaching certain topics (teaching OO
programming is a common hurdle..)

* How to deliver corrections to students effectively (without freaking them
out, discouraging them, etc)

* Finding and training new instructors

* Assessment techniques (includes the written down/survey style,
in-the-moment Q&A and others!)

* Creating of a reading list for those who’d like to learn more about
current thinking around pedagogy (books, papers, etc)

Are you dying to talk about any of those things? Or something I didn’t
mention?

Send a message to the list with a new subject line, and let’s start the
discussion!

--
http://chesnok.com