[OSCTC-planning] integrating project contributions to OSCTC events

Emma Irwin emma.irwin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 02:45:36 UTC 2014

Hi Shauna,

My responses inline.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been having separate discussions with Alex of Growstuff, Jennie,
> Larissa and Emma of Mozilla, and to a smaller extent with maintainers from
> PeerLibrary and OpenMRS about how to integrate their projects into OSCTC
> events.  I thought I'd bring those conversations together and onto a more
> open platform, in the hopes of improving the process as well as providing a
> model of best practices/workflows that others can copy.

I think there is some value in  highlighting the skillset of the intended
contributor for contribution pathways / workflows, and what types of
contribution that group can be successful in lending.  So students, may
indeed help build pathways, but it's unlikely they'll solve any major bugs,
or hack a feature request during an event.

> (This got kinda long.  For project maintainers, my specific questions for
> you are: which of the goals below do you feel most enthusiastic about?  For
> those goals, how do you feel about my proposed next actions?  Are there
> actions I don't mention that you think would benefit your project?  Feel
> free to respond quickly, at length, or not at all.  :) )
>
> I think the first step thing to do is figure out what the goals are for
> our events. Are the goals to:
>
> A) Enrich attendees' experiences by teaching them specific skills?  +1
> B) Enrich attendees' experiences by giving them the experience of
> contributing to an open source project?  +1
> C) Enrich both attendees' and project maintainers' experiences by
> establishing ongoing relationships? +1
> D) Enrich project maintainers' experiences by helping them work on their
> newcomer onboarding process? +1
> E) Enrich project maintainers' experiences by allowing newcomers to
> contribute important changes to their project?  I think if newcomers are
> students, this is overly ambitious.
>
> Obviously these are not exclusive goals, but I think it's useful to keep
> in mind that they sometimes conflict, and that different ways of
> structuring collaboration will promote different goals.  Some thoughts on
> individual goals:
>
> ### GOAL A: Enrich attendees' experiences by teaching them specific skills
>
> Because every project has a different design and different needs, it will
> naturally lend itself to teaching different skills. For instance,
> contributors to the OpenHatch website often learn about setting up local
> development environments, as our process is simple enough to be a good
> first exposure to the process.
>
> By identifying specific skills that are necessary for contributing to a
> specific project, we allow ourselves to more efficiently match projects
> with students who have or wish to gain the specific skills.  We also allow
> ourselves to better define what it is mentors should do at the event, as
> they can prepare to teach those specific skills.

I think even the generic teaching of skills has a greater scope than just
students.  At SocialCoding4Good I work with amazing, experienced C#, .NET -
etc who experience the barrior or things like github, IRC.    I send them
to Open Hatch all the time  to get those skills first.

> POTENTIAL NEXT STEPS
>
> If we choose to focus on this goal, we could:
>
>   * Come up with a guide or process to help projects identify which skills
> are necessary to contribute to their project.

Happy to collaborate on this

>   * Ask students to list ahead of time what skills if any they are
> interested in learning, and introduce them to project maintainers where
> there is a match.

Most open projects are already so stretched, that being handed list of
students who are interested in contributing - is more work, and not really
help. They don't have time to do the contributor sorting, matching - deal
with people who aren't really committed, who start and backout.... somehow
I think it would be good to leverage the 'training mission' module to track
and identify contributors worth investing in. If that makes sense - I'm
just brainstorming.

>   * Collect resources (perhaps on the OpenHatch wiki) which also teach
> said skills, to support project maintainers in their mentoring.

Any chance there could be live/hangout in-person types of training?  I
think that speaks to the isolation of learning on your own.

>   * Select/tag tasks for our event that focus on building those skills.
>   * Run supplementary events (remotely, or on campus where local
> organizers are interested) that are focused on that particular skill.

yes

> ### GOAL B: Enrich attendees' experiences by giving them the experience of
> contributing to an open source project
>
> This has been one of our ongoing and implicit goals.  I think it's a vital
> one, but it has a few limitations.  For one thing, the experience of
> contributing to a project for a short time, at an event, surrounded by
> mentors is not typical of FLOSS contributions.  I've been working to make
> contribution possible by disappearing common FLOSS problems such as
> difficulty setting up a development environment, providing in-person and
> remote mentors so that asynchronous communication isn't an issue, and
> identifying/creating tasks that have way more information associated with
> them than the average FLOSS issue.

Sorry burning out here - will respond more later.

--
Emma Irwin
@sunnydeveloper