[OSCTC-planning] install privileges and our curriculum

K Peterson inquiryqueue at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:40:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Okay, this link seems pretty relevant:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

Yep!
So that answers the questions about saving files and installed media.

> - How wide a range of architectures do these things support?  What
>> questions do I need to ask about the computers I'll be booting them on?
>>
> Ubuntu lists images available for 32-bit, 64-bit, and 64-bit Mac (AMD64).
There are also non-Mac machines with AMD64 processors, so the last may just
specify some subset of the Mac computers.

Aside from architecture, I'd suggest asking how much RAM the computers
have, in case running things from flash drives is cumbersome. It is also
worth asking whether a USB-connected drive occurs earlier in the boot
sequence than the computer's hard drive, and whether you will be able to
change that setting if it doesn't.

> - How expensive are they likely to be per drive?  I'd love to be able to
>> just give them to our students.
>>
> Microcenter has 4Gb drives for $4 and 8Gb drives for $5.
Amazon has some 8G drives for $3.