[OSCTC-planning] mentorship and other ways to follow up with Open Source Comes to Campus attendees

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 15:19:57 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Heidi Ellis <ellis at wne.edu> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Sumana's post has caused me to think and also generated some questions.  I
> know Mel, Shauna, and Sumana at least a bit, Mel better than Shauna and
> Sumana. However, all three of these folks have what I might call an
> outgoing spirit.  In group settings, you all actively engage people and are
> very good at asking the right questions to get people (and newbies) to talk
> with you. I have seen all three of you successfully convince people that
> they can contribute to open source projects in useful ways and I am in awe
> of your abilities in this area.
>
> So now the questions.  Do you think that this willingness to engage people
> and active interaction is a necessary condition for at least the initial
> stages of mentoring?  How does this willingness play out in mentoring?  And
> does this play out differently in face-to-face meetings versus online?

I think it probably depends on the mentee - there are certainly introverted
people who'd prefer a calmer, quieter approach than I'd instinctively
provide them - but yes, I think *generally* speaking the ability to be
outgoing and actively engaged, is important.  Is it more important than
other abilities, such as empathy, creativity, and the ability to explain
things well?  I'm not sure.

I also think you're right to differentiate online and in person mentoring
on this dimension.  I think more quiet, passive mentors might be able to
push themselves to interact and ask questions via online mediums in a way
that's hard to in person.  One can also introduce easier-to-evaluate
metrics that way, by asking a mentor, "How many email threads have you
initiated?" "How many questions has your mentee asked you?" "What kinds of
questions does your mentee tend to ask?" etc.  There's more opportunity for
reflection because you have the record of communication.