[OSCTC-planning] inessential weirdnesses in open source

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:52:23 UTC 2014

Thanks for the link, Sumana.  These are really thought-provoking examples.

Some of them (git, IRC) are things we actively teach at Open Source Comes
to Campus.  Especially with git, we try to stress that these are difficult
tools and that it's entirely expected for folks to stumble and have
problems with it.  With things like the licenses, or the free software vs
open source debate, when it's come up at events I've been at, I try to
stress that you don't really need to engage with it.

But yeah, there's a lot of cultural stuff.  Enough that it's probably worth
making, like, inessentialweirdnessinopensource.com or something more pithy
with "these are some cultural and procedural norms.  you don't have to
participate in them, but we thought we'd describe/explain them so you can
choose whether or not to participate instead of just feeling overwhelmed
and confused."