[mpw-staff] followup question to Indianpolis Python workshop - graphing

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sat May 12 14:10:50 UTC 2012

> You showed a web page related to either Visual Python or MatPlotLib that
> had lots of example images that were labeled. One in particular caught
> my attention, a 5 factor plot. However, I just cannot locate that page
> again. I need to find it, because I need to point a real programmer to
> it so he can do something similar for a project that I'm doing.
> MatPlotLib has a gallery but they aren't labeled and none looks as
> complex as I remember (the image was curves on a black background, I
> think).

It was probably matplotlib since visual python is a 3D environment.

I'm not sure what image you're referring to, and it sounds like you've
looked at http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/gallery.html and
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/screenshots.html already.

My memory of which statistics vocabulary maps to which graph names is
fuzzy, and I'm struggling to figure out what a 5-factor plot would look
like; is it a radar-like chart with each of 5 factors plotted on a
"spoke" of a wheel (something like
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl_examples/api/radar_chart.py
generates), or is it a grid of graphs (like
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/line_styles.html,
except with each graph representing a different data set instead of a
different line style)?

--Mel