[mpw-staff] Cloning the Python workshop for Women in the midwest...

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Feb 5 18:16:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Catherine Devlin wrote:

> I just realized that running registrations through IndyPy may not work
> in this case, since the event is going to be part of Indiana LinuxFest.
> However, I think we can arrange to plug all our attendees into IndyPy's
> meetup group and mailing list.  Hopefully that will be good enough on
> that count?

I'm going to sound like a stickler here, so please know that it is
because of my love for the energy you're all putting into this:

Even if the event is part of Indiana LinuxFest. I still think signups
should take place within IndyPy. Here's why:

* Attendees of the event ought to feel a part of IndyPy. This is one of
the most important aspects of the Workshop, I would say. It helps greatly
for existing IndyPy members to feel like the event is part of IndyPy, too.

* Because the LinuxFest is free of cost, you can do signups for this event
anywhere, so long as you get attendees to fill out the form on the
LinuxFest site that lets them register.

(In fact -- the event should be co-hosted by IndyPy and the LinuxFest for
this reason.)

Other quick verification about the event:

You're planning a two-day event, right -- Friday night setup, and Satuday
workshop?

Catherine and Mel, I think that careful management of the Friday-night
install stuff is crucial to success of Satuday, and that as full
integration as possible with IndyPy is essential to building a lasting
community.

I think we all want to make an event that is smooth, and that has lasting
impact, so let me know what you think about the above.

-- Asheesh.