[mpw-staff] last-minute notes

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Apr 13 15:01:22 UTC 2012

Printed and packed:

> - a sign I put up on doors with directions to the room

* 8 copies (changed to Indiapolis instead of Boston with blank spots on
the bottom to write details on once I get in and find our room number)
* masking tape
* marker

> - a Friday welcome page that I put up as people are settling in at 6pm
> - a Saturday morning slide deck
 > - the next steps slides for the wrap-up from 4:00-4:30

Got the files.

> - a page for right after lunch on Saturday describing the CodingBat practice

Er, this one is identical to the Friday welcome page... but we can
figure something out if need be.

Also! More news! Matt Harrison heard about what we were doing and has
made his intro programming book free to download on Amazon for today and
tomorrow only, so that attendees (and anyone else who's interested) can
get it. It's a great book (from what I saw of the earlier version, have
not read the new copy), very gentle and hands-on-based, talking about
thinking like a programmer rather than just writing code -- I saw his
workshop based on the same material -- and up on
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00639H0AK (I told him I'd make sure it
got blogged/tweeted/thanked, so I'll take care of that later tonight, as
well as taking care of informing people of the resource -- just wanted
to give folks a heads-up.

--Mel