[OpenHatch Mentors] mentors needed for events in LA; Chicago; Storrs, CT; Long Island NY; Victoria, Canada; and Lewisburg, PA

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:34:20 UTC 2014

Hello FOSS enthusiasts!

We’ve got a bunch of Open Source Comes to Campus events coming up over the
next month.  Rather than spam you with multiple emails, I thought I’d put
them all together in a single email:

On Saturday, October 18th, we’ve got events happening in several places:

- Claremont Graduate University (greater LA area): You can view the event
website here <http://cgu.openhatch.org/> and click through to sign up as a
mentor.

- University of Connecticut at Storrs:  You can view the event website here
<http://uconn.openhatch.org/> and click through to sign up as a mentor.

- DePaul University (Chicago, IL): You can view the event website here
<http://depaul.openhatch.org/> and click through to sign up as a mentor.

- University of Victoria: You can view the event website here
<http://victoria.openhatch.org/> and click through to sign up as a mentor.

- Bucknell University in Lewisburg PA: You can view the event website here
<http://launchwithopenhatch.splashthat.com/>. Interested in mentoring?
Email me!

On Sunday, October 19th, we’ll be having an Open Source Comes to Campus
event at SUNY Stony Brook, out on Long Island.  Interested in mentoring?
Fill out this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZVOki57n6izIJN5b3WxXsZGzqDNGbroMRH6hBh9l-VM/viewform>
!

If you can’t make any of these events but have suggestions of people in the
area who might enjoy mentoring at the event, please put us in touch!  You
can send us their email, or simply forward along this message.  We’ve
attached a description of what’s involved in mentoring below.

Thanks!
Shauna

*

Mentoring for Open Source Comes to Campus

The typical Open Source Comes to Campus (<http://campus.openhatch.org/>)
workshop is a full day event, starting around 10am, with coffee, bagels and
socializing for a half hour beforehand.  In the mornings, our hands-on
tutorials cover open source tools such as issue trackers, IRC, and version
control.  In the afternoons, students use what they’ve learned to begin
contributing to open source projects.  We also provide lunch and have a
career panel for students to learn about opportunities in open source.

We're looking for people to help mentor attendees as they learn how to
contribute to open source projects.  Instructors with a variety of
backgrounds are welcome: while it's great if you have tons of experience
using git and setting up development environments, we're also looking for
people who've been involved with open source as non-programmers, who know a
bit about picking bugs and submitting patches, or who just like to talk
about their experiences with open source.

If any of this sounds appealing to you, and you're available, email us back
at hello at openhatch.org to coordinate.  If you're interested but not
available, I can put you on a list of potential volunteers to contact when
we next run an event in the area.  And feel free to pass this along to
others in the area who you think might be interested.