[OpenHatch Mentors] volunteers needed for multiple events in Chicago, Boston, and the greater SF bay area (Salinas, CA and Davis, CA)

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 00:28:45 UTC 2014

Hello FOSS enthusiasts!

We’ve got a bunch of Open Source Comes to Campus events coming up over the
next month.  Rather than spam you with multiple emails, I thought I’d put
them all together in a single email:

   -

   On Saturday, April 26th, we’ve got an event happening at Northeastern
   Illinois University in Chicago.  We have room for one or two more mentors
   at this event!  You can view the event website
here<http://chicago.openhatch.org/>and sign
   up as a mentor
here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OIOqGPQv4RV1X_otYK8eldhEFlnwn5DcAR2FiXjsvgw/viewform>
   .
   -

   On Saturday, April 26th and Sunday, April 27th we’re doing an extended
   event at MIT in Cambridge, MA.  Saturday will be tutorial-focused and
   Sunday will be contribution-focused.  We’re looking for mentors who can
   attend either or both days.  You can view the event website
here<http://openhatch.mit.edu/>and sign
   up as a mentor
here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15qEHvD6PW7QJn7fQ1fc3Doe6I6g2j8_NwFcG9We32rk/viewform>
   .
   -

   On Saturday, May 3rd we’ll be having an event at Hartnell College in
   Salinas, CA.  If you’re in the bay area and interested in mentoring, we can
   help you get to Salinas, either by covering train/bus fare or by getting
   you a spot in the car that OpenHatch’s Asheesh Laroia will be driving to
   and from Salinas on Saturday.  If you’re interested, sign up as a
mentor<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ha16nOEst151PpR0VuxMY8fVeBgHi9U3z9hYJSFmz10/viewform>!
    (If you’re uncertain whether you can actually make it/need details re:
   transportation, please say so on the form.)
   -

   On Saturday, May 10th we’ll be having an event at UC Davis in Davis, CA.
    If you’re in the bay area and interested in mentoring, we can help you get
   to Davis, either by covering train/bus fare or by getting you a spot in the
   car that OpenHatch’s Asheesh Laroia will be driving to and from Davis on
   Saturday.  If you’re interested, sign up as a
mentor<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XhT_7qUYsGlOKe1_X-cwlVdc122-MHMtdGUn2vKUd98/viewform>!
    (If you’re uncertain whether you can actually make it/need details re:
   transportation, please say so on the form.)

If you can’t make any of these events but have suggestions of people in the
area who might enjoy mentoring at the event, please put us in touch! You
can send us their email, or simply forward along this message.  We’ve
attached a description of what’s involved in mentoring below.

Thanks!

Shauna

*

The typical Open Source Comes to Campus
workshop<http://campus.openhatch.org/>is a full day event, starting
around 10am, with coffee, bagels and
socializing for a half hour beforehand.  In the mornings, our hands-on
tutorials cover open source tools such as issue trackers, IRC, and version
control.  In the afternoons, students use what they’ve learned to begin
contributing to open source projects.  We also provide lunch and have a
career panel for students to learn about opportunities in open source.

We're looking for people to help mentor attendees as they learn how to
contribute to open source projects.  Instructors with a variety of
backgrounds are welcome: while it's great if you have tons of experience
using git and setting up development environments, we're also looking for
people who've been involved with open source as non-programmers, who know a
bit about picking bugs and submitting patches, or who just like to talk
about their experiences with open source.

If any of this sounds appealing to you, and you're available, email us back
to coordinate.  If you're interested but not available, I can put you on a
list of potential volunteers to contact when we next run an event in the
area.  And feel free to pass this along to others in the area who you think
might be interested.