[Foss-outreach-la] Welcome to the organizing group for open source outreach events in LA!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:39:55 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Just wanted to bump this up again.  Here are some potential answers to the
questions I asked:

> * When would be a good time to run our first event

This summer is a good time for short, experimental events - for instance,
if we wanted to have an evening for librarians, or high school students, or
devoted to a specific project, or a specific type of contribution.  These
can be held at any time, we're quite flexible.  On model that might be good
is the two hour event we recently did at SUNY Stony Brook
<http://openhatch.org/blog/2014/short-event-big-impact-open-source-at-suny-stony-brook/>
.

We'll be focusing on more traditional Open Source Comes to Campus events in
the fall.  We'll be spending three weekends - one in September, one in
October, and one in November - running these events.  For those, I think it
makes sense to focus on college students (though we've had non-students at
our events - we had a half dozen middle and high schoolers at one event
this spring, for instance).  Are there folks with ties to colleges who
would like to see us run events there?  Do folks have interest in focusing
on a specific group of college students, such as women or people of color?

> * Where we could host it

For summer events, there are many options:

- a local high school
- a local college
- a local library
- a local host like Crashspace

Crashspace might make the most sense since they already do open source
outreach events.

For the fall events, we'll want to focus on schools.  This can be high
schools or colleges.  Although we have far more experience with colleges,
we're excited to do something at a high school!

> * Who we want to target the event at (college students?  high school
> students?  women?  everyone?)

College students is our default, but again, we're happy to be flexible.  We
also like running women-focused events, and would be very enthusiastic
about events for other under-represented groups.

Let me know what you all think!

~ Shauna