[Events] User group outreach, weekly report, 2014-01-29 edition

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Thu Jan 30 16:06:51 UTC 2014

Asheesh,

This summary is really useful for those of us that are organizing events
for PyLadies or Python User Groups in smaller cities (at least relative
to Boston, SF, Portland, etc.).

We've got some good momentum building in San Diego re: outreach events.
I will share the update with you after our Monday PyLadies meeting. For
now, the highlights for San Diego (SDPUG and PyLadies SD):

* January SDPUG meeting: Presentation about PyCon and its value to the
San Diego Python community whether or not one is able to physically
attend the conference this year. Sent presentation link to Lynn @
PyLadies. Also, presented PyLadies SD 2014 plans for outreach to the
SDPUG. Both presentations are at: https://github.com/willingc/python-sd-ug

* Geek Girls Tech Conference - San Diego - "Intro to Python" Outreach
Workshops by PyLadies SD and SDPUG - Late June 2014

* SDPUG "Intro to Python" Workshop - May 2014 as preparation for Geek
Girls event and for the benefit of our user group members

* PyLadies SD "Test Driven Development with Django" (Second half of
2014): Using materials from the very successful November SDPUG workshop,
we will be offering this again later this year

* SDPUG - Began offering "Intro to Python" informal meetups where those
new to Python can ask questions and team up to help each other. For now,
they will be monthly. In the process of setting up a standing weekly IRC
office hour (similar to OpenHatch's).

* PyLadies SD/SDPUG - "Intro to Python for Science: NumPy, SciPy,
pandas, etc." - In response to interest from users, our hope is to offer
this as a series of meetup presentations. Schedule:TBD

Asheesh, Shauna, and Britta get much thanks for all of their hard work
this past year. Their kindness mixed with the efforts to improve
documentation and communication have enabled me to show our local group
organizers that there are materials out there to support these workshops
and outreach.

> * Generally, I'm less certain of what to recommend for small Python
> user groups (of size 5-25 people) in smallish cities than I am for
> big-ish ones (40+) in big cities. For big ones, the project night
> and/or Workshop for Women and their Friends strategy seems reasonable.
> For smaller ones

Quality materials, like OSCTC in a box, and OpenHatch's friendliness to
help or support are really helpful to bringing outreach to our
community. One thing that would be great would be some sort of remix of
existing materials that could be offered in 1 hour meetings for small
groups of users (so we could embed in a PyLadies meeting or offer as
smaller group outreach within the larger SDPUG).

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Carol

--
Carol Willing