[Events] [OH-Publicity] Publicity plan for "In-Person Event Handbook"

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 20:50:02 UTC 2014

I think it's worth remarking that, in addition to brainstorming ways to
publicize the guide, folks should feel free to help improve it.  The guide
has an issue tracker here:
https://github.com/openhatch/in-person-event-handbook/issues?state=open.
 One area where more work would be useful is in creating/improving/linking
to tools that support the steps suggested in the guide.

> To get the ball rolling, I propose the following. During 2014:
>
> * We make sure organizers of at least 8 significant events (other than
> Open Source Comes to Campus) that could benefit from the Handbook hear
> about its existence.

How do you propose to measure this/carry this out?  Is this as simple as
pro-actively mailing events and suggesting they use it?

> * We make sure at least 3 significant events (other than Open Source Comes
> to Campus) recommend the Handbook as a good way for participating projects
> to prepare for the event.

How official do they need to be in their recommendations?  Vanessa Hurst
has told me that she's been recommending that projects participating in
Coder Day of Service use it, and I also vaguely remember Sheila talking
about forwarding it to SciPy.

> * We document the above 3 events that recommended the Handbook within the
> Handbook itself, by the end of 2014.

How would we document this?  "Recommend" is pretty nebulous.

> Shauna, I'm also curious what you think with setting these as goals. Once
> we have them as goals, I would be super happy to see this meta-outreach
> effort done by you, you + me, or any combination of people, so long as we
> do it. (-: I think that getting in the faces of organizers of events that
> might benefit from the Handbook is an essential part to succeeding at
> making the Free world better at outreach.

I'm +1 on this, generally, and on setting goals, but I'd like more clarity
on these particular goals.  There are also ways to synthesize promoting the
handbook with more easily-document-able efforts.  For instance, the
handbook suggests that projects have users test out dev environment setup
before an event.  We could offer to run pre-event dev environment setup
tests for projects, and then document that.  That's a fair amount of extra
work for the community, but I think it would actually be quite enjoyable
(esp if we didn't run them too often - maybe 2-4 times a year?) and would
help us:
a) gather more information/experience to make the guide more
accurate/helpful
b) improve our own process for prepping for OSCTC events
c) perhaps bring new projects into our community (that is, grow the network
of affiliated projects)

I suggested an informal dev environment setup sprint for Coder Day of
Service projects to Vanessa, and she seemed enthused, but also overwhelmed
by all the other logistical stuff she has to handle.  So I don't think that
will happen.

- Shauna