[Events] Python user group outreach check-in, 2014-02-26 edition

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 27 08:34:27 UTC 2014

Here is a summary of goals achieved, for the past 4 months, on the
outreach goals I set at the start. (I sent something very like this to the
outreach & education committee.)

(Star (*) indicates not yet happened, but is very likely to happen, e.g.
is scheduled.)

(Plus (+) indicates that it is expected, but '''after''' the end of the
grant period.)

Groups running intro & diversity events:

# Python Dominican Republic ran a Project Night.

# Chicago Pythonistas is running a Project Night, Feb 27.

# PhillyPUG is running Project Nights again, most recently Feb 17.

# (+) PyLadies NYC is working on a Linux Night (their idea!) and I'm
helping them with scripts and general support. Scheduled for Mar 6.

# (+) (?) PyLadies SF is working on an Intro Django event; my role, I
think, was to help connect people.

# (+) A multi-week intro Python event in Seattle is going to be organized
by Mako. He had to push it back a few weeks to make it better-organized
and better-publicized, so it doesn't have a date set, but is expected in
March.

# (+) (?) PyLadies Boston is interested in running a Django-oriented
newcomer's tutorial. Expected in May or so.

Groups with gender diversity improvements in speakers:

# (+) PDX Python tentatively has booked Mele Sax-Barnett to speak in March
[http://www.meetup.com/pdxpython/events/162097922/].

# (*) (+) I helped connect SF Python with more women speakers again. This
is expected to come to fruition on March 12 (but is not published yet).

# (*) (+) Connected women speakers with NYC Python for the PyCon warm-up
talks in April (meetup page here:
[http://www.meetup.com/nycpython/events/163115902/] but their names aren't
published yet).

* Have an outstanding email thread with Python Barcelona that could lead
to (a) women speaker(s) at
[http://www.meetup.com/python-185/events/161424252/].

Goal summaries:

* At least 3 intro / diversity events get run after consultation with the
fellow in each of the first half of the fellowship (3 of 3 achieved, plus
3 more in the works for after end of grant period, 4 if you count maybes).

* At least 5 user groups improve their speaker diversity in the second
half of the fellowship (0 of 5 achieved, with 3 planned for after end of
grant period, 4 if you count maybes).

Meta remarks:

Spin-up time for all these goals was longer than I had wanted. Thank you
all for your patience and helpfulness in reading these reports. I hope
you've enjoyed them, and I'll be sending some further thoughts on or about
March 1, which is the end date of the grant. I'm also planning to keep
attempting to push forward on this outreach beyond that date.